Persian translation and Luna RTL support

By EnglishParrot 27 March 2016 12:10

Member · 56 comments

Yannick, Could you please help me improve my Persian translation of Luna?
Look at this picture: Click to view picture

• In RTL version, When we have a check box with a label, the label will be invisible, because it's in the right and check box is in the right too, That's why texts will hide behind the check boxes.
  • In RTL version of Luna, In backstage settings, The save button and the section label are near together, As you can see in the linked picture.
  • A non-important thing, Can I translate the upload button and texts?
    "No file chosen"and "Choose file"

I hope you help me improve my Luna translations 🙂

By Yannick 27 March 2016 12:15

Administrator · 1,451 comments
EnglishParrot wrote

• In RTL version, When we have a check box with a label, the label will be invisible, because it's in the right and check box is in the right too, That's why texts will hide behind the check boxes.
  • In RTL version of Luna, In backstage settings, The save button and the section label are near together, As you can see in the linked picture.

• In RTL version, When we have a check box with a label, the label will be invisible, because it's in the right and check box is in the right too, That's why texts will hide behind the check boxes.I think that's a simple matter of margins, if you could send me your translation I'll happily make sure that it is all being displayed properly.
  • In RTL version of Luna, In backstage settings, The save button and the section label are near together, As you can see in the linked picture. Idem dito for above.
    This cannot be done as that's an UI element from your OS itself and thus follows your OS language. If you set your PC to Persian, it should also switch language.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 27 March 2016 13:17

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote
EnglishParrot wrote

• In RTL version, When we have a check box with a label, the label will be invisible, because it's in the right and check box is in the right too, That's why texts will hide behind the check boxes.I think that's a simple matter of margins, if you could send me your translation I'll happily make sure that it is all being displayed properly.
  • In RTL version of Luna, In backstage settings, The save button and the section label are near together, As you can see in the linked picture. Idem dito for above.
    This cannot be done as that's an UI element from your OS itself and thus follows your OS language. If you set your PC to Persian, it should also switch language.

Well, I just translated a quarter of the Luna 1.4 Preview 4, However, You've to get it here: Download
(In the page click on the Luna-1.4-alpha.4.zip link )

I strongly thank you! 😄

Last edited by EnglishParrot (27 March 2016 13:19)

By Yannick 27 March 2016 13:41

I'm moving this out of the Luna Emerald conversation to keep us a little bit on track here. Anyway...

May I ask if you know any other optimizations we could provide for better RTL support (I'm not that into this kind of thing)? For example, would it be useful to flip the panels around when there 2 columns (like showing the statics and alerts on the left and reports and admin note on the right on the Backstage index). Let me know and I'll look into it.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 27 March 2016 14:49

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote

I'm moving this out of the Luna Emerald conversation to keep us a little bit on track here. Anyway...

May I ask if you know any other optimizations we could provide for better RTL support (I'm not that into this kind of thing)? For example, would it be useful to flip the panels around when there 2 columns (like showing the statics and alerts on the left and reports and admin note on the right on the Backstage index). Let me know and I'll look into it.

OK, But my English is poor and I've understanding problems, I think you wanna know how could you optimize Luna for RTL languages.
Look, RTL language users ( Like Persian, Arabic, Pashto and ... ) first read the right texts of the page, That's why it's too important to place important texts ( Like navigation bars and headings to the right and place less important things like Submit, Save, Statistics and etc in the left.
I took a look into backstage, Look at picture #1, I explained some cases need improvements.
Secondly, In the tables, the table heading texts and table data aren't in line. as you can see in the picture #2
also, See picture #3.
Well! The only problems are these I said + My previous post ( check boxes ).
I count the problems once again:

• Some of important part should go to right instead of less important parts.
  • If someone write an English text and post in an RTL forum, The signs like ( . ) and ( ! ) will go before the last line because of using RTL direction for English language.
  • Check boxes and Radio boxes will prevent seeing the labels.
  • The tables aren't in range and table headings and table data aren't in on line.
  • Sometimes parts headings and save button are near together.

I have no idea what we can do to solve them, I'm not that creative 🙁
Thank you too much!

Last edited by EnglishParrot (27 March 2016 15:01)

By Yannick 27 March 2016 20:11

https://github.com/GetLuna/Luna/issues/1543

56f83f684f1b3-Capture.PNG

I'm only left with some padding issues, the punctuation issue you've pointed out, dates are displayed on a weird maner, and some icons should be flipped. Other than that, Fifteen and Sunrise have almost full support for RTL now. 😄 *

* I haven't pushed this yet to the development branch on GitHub.

About those dates, is this actually simply an issue because my server is English? Does that also happen on your machine with the language set to Persian?

--

Edit: I've found that these punctuation issues are actually almost impossible to solve on a sensible way. So I'm afraid that we'll have to leave that in and just assume that a board is just RTL or LTR, but not at the same time. Note though that Fifteen will contain a CSS-class that allows you to switch to LTR for blocks so for announcements, rules, etc. you could force LTR. But not in threads. That would actually require a new markup tag like [rtl] and [ltr] to enforce as we simply cannot distinguish this simply. However, I can imagen a whole bunch of reasons why we shouldn't do that (first of all, users would always have to use these tags around all their content on a multilingual board, which is just not user-friendly)...

--

Edit 2: Changes are now pushed to the development branch on GitHub. If you ask me, we've got a reasonable good implementation of RTL now. Still some visual glitches, but I'm working on it. You can now define in the language file whether or not you want RTL or LTR in the "Direction of language"-string.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 28 March 2016 06:42

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote

http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads9/56f83f … apture.PNG

I'm only left with some padding issues, the punctuation issue you've pointed out, dates are displayed on a weird maner, and some icons should be flipped. Other than that, Fifteen and Sunrise have almost full support for RTL now. 😄 *

About those dates, is this actually simply an issue because my server is English? Does that also happen on your machine with the language set to Persian?

--

Edit: I've found that these punctuation issues are actually almost impossible to solve on a sensible way. So I'm afraid that we'll have to leave that in and just assume that a board is just RTL or LTR, but not at the same time. Note though that Fifteen will contain a CSS-class that allows you to switch to LTR for blocks so for announcements, rules, etc. you could force LTR. But not in threads. That would actually require a new markup tag like [rtl] and [ltr] to enforce as we simply cannot distinguish this simply. However, I can imagen a whole bunch of reasons why we shouldn't do that (first of all, users would always have to use these tags around all their content on a multilingual board, which is just not user-friendly)...

--

Edit 2: Changes are now pushed to the development branch on GitHub. If you ask me, we've got a reasonable good implementation of RTL now. Still some visual glitches, but I'm working on it. You can now define in the language file whether or not you want RTL or LTR in the "Direction of language"-string.

Good Job! 😄
About the time, I tried it in my localhost and result was Picture #4 day goes before the month name.
But the interesting thing is in your server, the day goes after author ( Both are incorrect. ) also my machine is English too. I never saw anyone use Persian-language windows.
About the punctuation problem, I agree that's impossible to solve, months ago I tried to solve it in PunBB, I got a PunBB extension that could make tags, And exactly same that you told, I made "RTL" and "LTR" tags and it was useful. Now, I think about an Extension for Luna that you can make!
If something's left that I didn't pay attension, forgive me. that's because my poor English.

By Yannick 28 March 2016 07:33

EnglishParrot wrote
Yannick wrote

--

--

Good Job! 😄
About the time, I tried it in my localhost and result was Picture #4 day goes before the month name.
But the interesting thing is in your server, the day goes after author ( Both are incorrect. ) also my machine is English too. I never saw anyone use Persian-language windows.
About the punctuation problem, I agree that's impossible to solve, months ago I tried to solve it in PunBB, I got a PunBB extension that could make tags, And exactly same that you told, I made "RTL" and "LTR" tags and it was useful. Now, I think about an Extension for Luna that you can make!
If something's left that I didn't pay attension, forgive me. that's because my poor English.

Maybe the date order simply has something to do with the date format given in the profile? Does Persian require a different format to be displayed correctly?

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 28 March 2016 09:16

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote
EnglishParrot wrote
Yannick wrote

--

--

Good Job! 😄

Maybe the date order simply has something to do with the date format given in the profile? Does Persian require a different format to be displayed correctly?

First off all, We have to have in mind that Persian-language countries, use solar calendars ( In Iran, We use Jalāli calendar ) I mean first of all I have to convert Luna's default calendar to Jalali.
About the dating, We display dates like this: yy/mm/dd hour:minute:second ( In all Persian, Arabic and Languages like this we display date like this )
If you wanna optimize Luna to support Persian and Arabic date, You will have many problems and of course it's very hard to do.
I suggest you to don't mind about dating and calendars, I'll message Abdulhalim to help me convert Luna's calendar and dating because he did it once before.
You have to focus your work on improving the little RTL languages problem as I mentioned. (tables and enc)
While you work on optimizations, I work on Jalali and ... And we done it together 😄

By Yannick 28 March 2016 09:46

EnglishParrot wrote
Yannick wrote

-snip-

First off all, We have to have in mind that Persian-language countries, use solar calendars ( In Iran, We use Jalāli calendar ) I mean first of all I have to convert Luna's default calendar to Jalali.
About the dating, We display dates like this: yy/mm/dd hour:minute:second ( In all Persian, Arabic and Languages like this we display date like this )
If you wanna optimize Luna to support Persian and Arabic date, You will have many problems and of course it's very hard to do.
I suggest you to don't mind about dating and calendars, I'll message Abdulhalim to help me convert Luna's calendar and dating because he did it once before.
You have to focus your work on improving the little RTL languages problem as I mentioned. (tables and enc)
While you work on optimizations, I work on Jalali and ... And we done it together 😄

I suggest you go download Preview 5, it comes with RTL support build in now. 🙂 Have fun with it and notify me if you see anything wrong besides the points we've already discusses above.

To enable RTL for a certain language, you'll have to update the po-file and look for the "Direction of language"-string and translate it as rtl.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 28 March 2016 23:57

Member · 56 comments

Look at the picture:
dd58-SS-Screen-Capture-007-1.png
Basically, The "New" tag should be before the text.
Update: I was looking to the above picture, In the orange box in top is written "About Luna Emerald-2.0 alpha 5" but in RTL version it's like: "About Luna 2.0-Emerald 5.alpha".

Last edited by EnglishParrot (29 March 2016 00:03)

By Yannick 29 March 2016 06:36

I'll look into the tags. For the version and name, I think that might be a problem that solves itself when the version number becomes just "2.0", no?

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 29 March 2016 07:02

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote

I'll look into the tags. For the version and name, I think that might be a problem that solves itself when the version number becomes just "2.0", no?

Er... No. have in mind that You're cleaning the matter, Surely I'll translate the next preview and beta versions and share them. I should always wait for a stable version to solve my problem and it starts again in the next beta and preview versions?

Never mind, In the picture mentioned, You have to take the Emerald 2.0 Preview 5 to the right. also in update.php page, in Luna version information, The value of software version is messed up. (Software version=2.0-5.Alpha)
I got that Luna has problem with all of strings consist with numbers and English letters and shows them messed up.
In the backstage footer, The text Powered by should go to the right. Thank you. If I find any other problems I'll report 😄
I've another question, How can I change the font of maintenance mode page? I added this code to backstage/css/style.css,Themes/Sunrise/css/style.css and Themes/Fifteen/css/style.css:

@import url(http://awebfont.ir/css?id=1116);html body * {font-family: "B Yekan","Open Sans","FontAwesome" !important;}

Is there any other style sheet files I should edit?
Update: Look at the bellow picture:
e537-SS-Screen-Capture-008.png

Last edited by EnglishParrot (29 March 2016 07:28)

By Yannick 29 March 2016 07:39

I'm currently working on an update to the maintenance page and others.

I don't get the problem with the "Powered by" text in the Backstage. It moves to the other side, what's the problem?

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 29 March 2016 07:52

Member · 56 comments
Yannick wrote

I'm currently working on an update to the maintenance page and others.

I don't get the problem with the "Powered by" text in the Backstage. It moves to the other side, what's the problem?

"Powered by" Text is in the left of the footer. But when RTL is enabled. It should be in right.
In the main board it's in a suitable place but in backstage it should be fixed.
Look at the picture:
8d97-SS-Screen-Capture-009.png

Last edited by EnglishParrot (29 March 2016 08:04)

By Yannick 29 March 2016 09:55

I'm not sure if you've seen that footer in a LTR-language yet, but that text is on the right by default, so logically, it should be on the left in an RTL-language, no?

Also, for the About-page, I'm sad to tell you that this is expected behavior and not easily fixed. But then again, if this problem really only surfaces in pre-release version, I don't really see the point in fixing it just for that one string.

You can do anything