Feedback on theme system

By Yannick 26 October 2015 10:39

Administrator · 1,390 comments

Hey everybody

Another day, another item to give feedback upon. And this time, I would like to get your opinion on the theme system and how it should go forward. Basically, there are 3 scenarios that can be played now:

1. Use the Luna 1.x model
This model allows theme developers to change EVERYTHING, however, as we want our default theme to showcase the default possibilities, that means that no additional functions are added and thus every little or big change you might want in the default theme requires a child theme or an entirely new theme.

2. Use the FluxBB 1.x
Only allow themes to change the CSS file and not the actual markup. Allows full freedom over the actual look but not the capabilities of a theme.

3. Lock in one theme and provide a shitload of options
Or the model I'm seriously concider right now. Just like the previous model, this will allow you to use custom CSS. However, that custom CSS is fetched from the database and is just one of the MANY MANY options that will be added to the Backstage. However, this model doesn't allow any customization to the actual files. This will allow a shitload of different configurations. I'm not scared to add a 6th category next to "Backstage", "Board", "Users", "Settings" and "Management" just for these theme settings.

One of these many settings will be, as I said, to add custom CSS right from the Backstage. Or to choose if you want to use the Fifteen-like index page or rather have Sixteen-like index. Or where you want search to be located. Or maybe you like circular avatars over squares. Or you just want rounded corners... I don't care, this final model makes all these things possible right from the Backstage and will no longer require new style upon new style and new theme upon new theme.

---------------------

So in the end, I would like to know which model you guys would like to see in certain future versions of Luna. Right now, I'm looking heavly into model 3 for multiple reasons. First of all, if I look around, I see not a single Luna-powered forum that is using something that can't be archieved with the features I want to add in model 3. Another reason is: perhaps a little less freedom in creating your own theme will actually improve how unique your board actually is and how stable Luna as a whole will be.

So, let's talk about this.

Have a nice day
- Yannick

You can do anything

By bem 26 October 2015 12:31

Member · 118 comments

Hmmm... a mixture of 1 and 3 for me - unless 3 allows you to still use a child theme to add a bit of mark-up elsewhere on the site. Take my forum for example, I have a header banner underneath the Index, Users, Search menu, which I added by including a jumbotron just underneath the header id. If we can still make changes like that, then I'm all for option 3  😁

By Yannick 26 October 2015 13:28

Administrator · 1,390 comments
bem wrote

Hmmm... a mixture of 1 and 3 for me - unless 3 allows you to still use a child theme to add a bit of mark-up elsewhere on the site. Take my forum for example, I have a header banner underneath the Index, Users, Search menu, which I added by including a jumbotron just underneath the header id. If we can still make changes like that, then I'm all for option 3  😁

I don't know what your website is, but option 3 is supposed to allow some very extensive customization build-in. And if that doesn't provide what you need, I can imagen extensions will.

You can do anything

By Vadim 26 October 2015 16:15

Member · 224 comments

I prefer to change the css styles.

We need two different designs

• For example as the theme "Fifteen"
  • And this theme "PunBB" punbb.informer.com/forums/ (It is very convenient theme.)

On the basis of these themes, using css styles you can change color and all that is needed.

I do not understand the code. I am learning English.

By Raf 26 October 2015 18:24

Member · 62 comments

I vote for 3, would be great to have much customization options build into luna, that would make sure that everything gets migrated to updates right so that we don't need to update child styles if something changes?

By Lirodon 26 October 2015 18:56

Member · 25 comments

I'd propose the concept of theme "engines"; this would compromise options 1 and 3 in a manner similarly to GTK themes on *nix by separating the themes into two components, an "engine" that provides a core layout and templates (i.e. one engine could provide Fifteen's templates, one could provide an update of the old FluxBB/PunBB "Oxygen" template, and another could be a "fallback" that can be copied and modified to allow users to build their own core layouts). Then, you'd have "themes", which would call an engine, and then specify its options/colors/wrapper HTML, etc.)

Although aside from the fact that we can't have a child use another child theme as its base, the theme system right now is actually pretty good. I think a more convenient way of specifying a "wrapper" around a theme (like old-school IPB 3) for integrating Luna into an existing site template would also be an improvement.

Last edited by Lirodon (26 October 2015 18:59)

By quangbahoa 3 December 2015 17:24

Member · 0 comments

Wordpress like theme system would be great.