Feedback on - what might become - the next generation

By Yannick 5 November 2015 13:37

Administrator · 1,387 comments

Hey everybody!

The past few days I've been working on a new concept for Luna, I've showed a couple of things of that concept already. However, I've been working on that as a live preview, and today, I'm happy to give you guys a chance to try out that concept using this board's database!

Go take a look

This is only for you guys to check out a CONCEPT of a design live in action. This is - for now - nothing more. This website contains some features and other functionality that is unavailable, comments aren't being parsed, etc. Just keep in mind that when you visit this concept, a lot will be broken, things that seem to be able to do actions will not perform actions, etc. Right now, the only system that actually works is login and logout.

Have fun!
- Yannick

You can do anything

By bem 5 November 2015 14:44

Member · 117 comments

That looks fantastic! Also I happen to notice that a users title is included when they post, along with their post count so very happy with that 😄

Really does look brilliant though. Only thing I'd look at sorting is the post count on the right of the screen when looking at topics. Would look nicer if they were all one width, instead of width depending on whether there's > 10, >100, etc. Looks odd being different sizes. Not sure how that'd look all being one size though, as some topics can do into thousands of posts so the post count label would end up quite wide and then you'd have lower count posts with a really wide label. Hmm... I might have just talked myself into thinking that it's best the way it is haha.

That really does look brilliant as well. Footer of the forum looks a lot neater and easer to read. Will we still be able to see what users are currently online?

Users page isn't working, but I'll wait for that. Well happy with how Luna is going though, it's a stunning looking forum even though it's not complete.

By Vadim 5 November 2015 14:44

Member · 224 comments

Concept 1:
Luna_2_0_Concept.png

Concept 2:
Luna_Concept_2_2_2.png

Last edited by Vadim (5 November 2015 15:06)

I do not understand the code. I am learning English.

By Yannick 5 November 2015 15:06

bem wrote

That looks fantastic! Also I happen to notice that a users title is included when they post, along with their post count so very happy with that 😄

Really does look brilliant though. Only thing I'd look at sorting is the post count on the right of the screen when looking at topics. Would look nicer if they were all one width, instead of width depending on whether there's > 10, >100, etc. Looks odd being different sizes. Not sure how that'd look all being one size though, as some topics can do into thousands of posts so the post count label would end up quite wide and then you'd have lower count posts with a really wide label. Hmm... I might have just talked myself into thinking that it's best the way it is haha.

That really does look brilliant as well. Footer of the forum looks a lot neater and easer to read. Will we still be able to see what users are currently online?

Users page isn't working, but I'll wait for that. Well happy with how Luna is going though, it's a stunning looking forum even though it's not complete.

The users page is working, but you need to click the second "Users" link, the other one is from the database for this board and we changed to location of the page, thus giving an error. However, the users page is far from done (http://getluna.org/glt/users.php) and still needs a lot of work for this concept.

Anyway, I've experimented with the comment counts being the same width and they just look odd, now it also indicates a little bit which thread is really popular, etc (due to the more popular threads being wider). To be honest: it's just an excuse to leave it like it is due to the lack of better options. Another thing I'm considering is to just put the label in-line with the rest as it is on smaller screens.

Also some of you guys might now see a background set for them like I've showed of in the earlier screenshots of the profile and index. Not everyone will see this.

You can do anything

By Vadim 5 November 2015 15:09

Member · 224 comments

The numbers on the right looks ugly, it is necessary to align them.

@media (min-width: 768px) {
.list-group-thread .label {
    padding: 14px 13px;
    margin-top: -8px;
    margin-right: -15px;
    min-width: 38px;
}
}

Last edited by Vadim (5 November 2015 15:14)

By bem 5 November 2015 15:14

Member · 117 comments

I did not realise that there were two user links. Cool, will keep an eye on that.

Looking at it again, I do actually like the post count being on the far right and with different widths depending on how many posts to count.

What's the 'All' button for on the side menu?

By Raf 5 November 2015 15:15

Member · 62 comments

looks awesome! love the profile design! login seems to be wrong (empty page). looking forward to this getting implemented!

By Yannick 5 November 2015 15:16

bem wrote

I did not realise that there were two user links. Cool, will keep an eye on that.

Looking at it again, I do actually like the post count being on the far right and with different widths depending on how many posts to count.

What's the 'All' button for on the side menu?

That's to go back to the main index from the side menu. Brings back the "Recent activity" list. Not sure if it will stay there, though...

Vadim wrote

The numbers on the right looks ugly, it is necessary to align them.

@media (min-width: 768px) {
.list-group-thread .label {
    padding: 14px 13px;
    margin-top: -8px;
    margin-right: -15px;
    min-width: 38px;
}
}

Changing the minimum width is only moving "the problem" to a higher comment count.

Raf wrote

looks awesome! love the profile design! login seems to be wrong (empty page). looking forward to this getting implemented!

That's indeed not supposed to happen, but I don't care at this point. After all, it's just about the design, not the actual functionality. 😁

You can do anything

By Raf 5 November 2015 15:21

Member · 62 comments

so this is for luna 2.0? it says so in the title 😁

By Raf 5 November 2015 15:23

Member · 62 comments
Yannick wrote
bem wrote

The users page is working, but you need to click the second "Users" link, the other one is from the database for this board and we changed to location of the page, thus giving an error. However, the users page is far from done (http://getluna.org/glt/users.php) and still needs a lot of work for this concept.

Anyway, I've experimented with the comment counts being the same width and they just look odd, now it also indicates a little bit which thread is really popular, etc (due to the more popular threads being wider). To be honest: it's just an excuse to leave it like it is due to the lack of better options. Another thing I'm considering is to just put the label in-line with the rest as it is on smaller screens.

Also some of you guys might now see a background set for them like I've showed of in the earlier screenshots of the profile and index. Not everyone will see this.

i'm not seeing it, can you activate it for me? 😩

By bem 5 November 2015 15:36

Member · 117 comments

Just seen a users profile. Love having the username huge just above, but also slightly behind, the profile pic. That is great.

By Yannick 5 November 2015 15:48

Raf wrote

Maybe.

Raf wrote

I enabled it for you too, I'll leave it like that in exchange for good feedback. Anybody else? 😄

You can do anything

By Vadim 5 November 2015 16:08

Member · 224 comments

The left sidebar (menu). He does not fit into the overall style.

I think one must first draw in Photoshop. Or Inkscape.

Last edited by Vadim (5 November 2015 16:12)

By Raf 5 November 2015 17:29

Member · 62 comments
Yannick wrote
Raf wrote

Maybe.

Raf wrote

I enabled it for you too, I'll leave it like that in exchange for good feedback. Anybody else? 😄

awesome!

here i go: i like that the search bar is now above the sidebar instead of in the menu bar and that all menu items are now on the same height. i like the icons in the sidebar being color the way they are.

for the index page, i also like that the forums don't have this label-style-ish design anymore and are just colored text, i personally prefer the design of the post count when using it on mobile so that it follows behind and is just a rounded square. when viewing individual forums, there is a dot behind every topic, is that normal? i also like the more minimalistic design of closed, sticky and so on! looks much fresher!

i also like the more informative design for the topics. nice that there is finally some additional information below usernames. the post buttons should be aligned to the left i think. it might look better.

i like the menu style but i would like to see our avatar return as the icon to indicate the user menu rather than a generic user icon. why is inbox now in that user menu anyway? i also like how the index and profile use that image instead of just blue, is there a logic behind which page uses it and which does not?

for the profile, as i said, i like it. the new profile seems to have a more visual appeal rather than displaying stats in plain text it's now kinda like the footer. i also like that my own topics are now in my profile. i like the heading for the settings page, but not much more to say about it, this page is empty. the help page seems to use the same design?

i'm gonna guess and say that the users page is still in the state where you said that it was "far from finished"? it's still missing avatars, but i like that we will be able to set colors and icons for groups!

finally, i like the cleaner design for the footer. is this concept going to become more functional?

new features that i noticed that are hinted to:
- bio in profile
- comments on profile
- header images
- group icons and colors (but that was confirmed)

is this on github somewhere? 😁

By kaaleth 5 November 2015 17:37

Member · 83 comments

I prefer old-style last topics view. The newer one is really unreadable for me. I like new sidebar.

Is that Fifteen theme? I hope it isn't...

By Yannick 7 November 2015 13:57

For those interested, I've just pushed an update to the concept. This is mainly focused around proper login error handling, a brand new help page, registration page and minor design changes.

You can do anything

By Raf 7 November 2015 15:18

Member · 62 comments

new help page looks neat, whens it coming to a real release! put it on github!

By Raf 7 November 2015 15:25

Member · 62 comments

ha, finallly doing away with the "weve got us a situation here" messages? 😄

By Yannick 7 November 2015 15:36

Raf wrote

new help page looks neat, whens it coming to a real release! put it on github!

Patience.

Raf wrote

ha, finallly doing away with the "weve got us a situation here" messages? 😄

Yep, there is in fact an error to tell you that it couldn't find the error (in my local copy). 😁 Currently working on the final pages like search, Inbox and notifications and then moving on to a revamped editor.

You can do anything

By Vadim 7 November 2015 18:10

Member · 224 comments

Maybe unfolding side bar :

1.png
Demo: http://materialdesignblog.com/mini-portfolio/
Code: http://materializecss.com/collapsible.html

By Yannick 7 November 2015 21:12

Vadim wrote

Maybe unfolding side bar :

http://i.piccy.info/i9/3f6893bbf2635344 … 7339/1.png
Demo: http://materialdesignblog.com/mini-portfolio/
Code: http://materializecss.com/collapsible.html

But why would we want that? For what purpose would we want our sidebar to be hidden when it contains all sort of useful options?

You can do anything

By Vadim 8 November 2015 07:10

Member · 224 comments
Yannick wrote

But why would we want that? For what purpose would we want our sidebar to be hidden when it contains all sort of useful options?

Maybe you are right. Sometimes, when a lot of subsections should be allowed to hide unnecessary.
---
I found a great design! I think we like it:
http://nextwpthemes.com/themes/extraclean/blog.html

By Vadim 8 November 2015 08:52

Member · 224 comments

Concept 3:
Concept3.png

By Yannick 8 November 2015 13:18

Just made the move from CSS to LESS to provide even better customizability. 😁

You can do anything

By kaaleth 8 November 2015 14:09

Member · 83 comments

Yannik - now looks bettter. Keep going!

By Yannick 8 November 2015 15:22

I've pushed an update so that your comments are now being parser on the demo (this contains still a lot of issues, but the basic things have started to work again). Next update to the concept website will contain the move to LESS, an actually functional settings page in your profile, a paginatio system, and some other minor visual changes. 😁

This one might take a while though. Allowing you guys to change your settings on that concept requires to also build in the permission system, read the actual config from this site and so on. So...

You can do anything

By Raf 11 November 2015 11:03

Member · 62 comments

anything new yet?

By Yannick 11 November 2015 12:09

Hey, Rome wasn't build in one day either. 😁

I'm currently working on the profile. However, some other changes that are coming with the next update:

- Less instead of normal css
- Cleaned up components (Bootstrap, etc.)
- Small updates to the design (First run and navbar mainly)
- Improved profile interface
- (Emptry) notifications and inbox page
- Profile settings (that you can actually save for this forum!)
- Pagination navigation
- Improved user list page (with avatars!)
- Much extended Jewel core
- An improved database layer
- And maybe, just maybe, the ability to comment on existing threads 😯

Some of these things are done, others are not, but that's what I hope to give you guys a look at in the next update, which should land somewhere this week. Then again, I'm not promising anything.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 4 December 2015 20:08

Member · 56 comments

Yannick, I'm going to tell you my personal idea, You could choice...
Look, now, We have Luna 1.2, Your working on the next vers[on of Luna CornFlower Blue - also you're working on Luna 1.3 , Also you're working on Luna 1.4 ( You told its name too in the blog! ) - Also you're working on Luna 2 - also you're a developer in the FluxBB forum! I remember when I came here the first time, I told myself how can Yannick work on FluxBB-ModernBB-Luna with eachother! Finally, I'm going to tell you you should centeralize on onething/one version, If you have a idea, add it in the next version, not in this way you add some features to 1.2.4, some features to 1.3, some of them into 2 and... I think you should work on a defined point - not jump to different points everytime... You know, I hope I can explain it for you but I don't know I was successful or not... ( Because of my bad English )
P.S: When I read my post again, I found that my post looks to impudently, But really, It isn't! 😉

Last edited by EnglishParrot (4 December 2015 20:12)

By Yannick 4 December 2015 21:21

I'm not adding features to 1.2.4? The only thing that changed beside bug fixes is that Luna now assigns a random accent to every new installation (which is a VERY small change). Further, most features are assigned to a milestone and then never moved unless it simply fits better with other changes in an earlier or later milestone. I prefer to develop multiple milestones at once simply because I sometimes am more interested in developing one feature over the other.

You can do anything