Luna Emerald - UPDATE: 2.0.0 is here!

By Yannick 8 February 2016 16:03

Administrator · 1,451 comments

Hey everybody

Edit: Luna 2.0 is now available!

For the past couple of weeks, I've been spending quiet a lot of time in the Luna Fallow-codebase to build this major new revision of Luna. The 1.x-branch has fallen to the back a little, however, I'm well aware that Luna Fallow isn't going to be for everyone. Literally: we're dropping support for a couple of older and out-dated systems, and just in case you might be running such a system, you'll be out of luck to update to Luna Fallow.

However, we've another final feature update planned for the original Luna codebase - the Emerald update - and I'm taking the opertunity to port back a couple of features that I've build for Luna Fallow. And here I would like to discuss some of these a bit. And ask your feedback, of course.

UI refinements
So last year, I've been posting a couple of mock-ups of how Luna Fallow would look like on the front-end. It received quiet a bit of positive feedback and you can still look at a live working demo at getluna.org/glt. However, this code was based on Bootstrap 3.3 and as we're now developing Luna Fallow with Bootstrap 4 in mind and most of the old code has become redundant due to that, it feels a bit like a waste. The good news is, the CSS written for that project works - almost - 1:1 on Luna's current codebase. It requires a couple of CSS and HTML changes, but this original version of Airalin works fine on Luna Denim (though it has some MAJOR, but easy to overcome, visual glitches). And that's why I'm happy to report that Airalin, the original draft, is coming to Luna Emerald. This accounts only for the front-end, not the Backstage, obviously (though that one will also get a couple of refinements).

And yes, user info - like comment count - is also returning to the thread view. 🙂

This UI will also be available as part of Luna Fallow Preview 1 as that's basically still just the current front-end. The reworked front-end will be part of Preview 2.

Security enhancements
Luna Fallow will bring along a couple of security enhancements, especially in the password-storage-space, and currently, we're working on backporting this system. The result will be that passwords are stored more securely.

--

These are the features I want to "backport". There simply isn't more to backport right now (as we've only worked on the Backstage so far). I'm still open for suggestions on what you want to see in Luna Emerald. It will be the last stable release for a LONG time (except for updates, of course) so if you need something that isn't too big, you should shout it out now. Other features that are planned - but not limited to just this list - for Luna Emerald are an improved editor, improved meta tags (for SEO) and improved search.

Cheers,
Yannick.

You can do anything

By bem 8 February 2016 17:35

Member · 128 comments

Cool. Is there any plans to include the ability to ban & delete a user all at once? Makes it easier with getting rid of spam accounts is all and saves having to go back to the user list after banning to delete the account.

By Yannick 8 February 2016 18:21

bem wrote

Cool. Is there any plans to include the ability to ban & delete a user all at once? Makes it easier with getting rid of spam accounts is all and saves having to go back to the user list after banning to delete the account.

I'll take it into consideration, but that might be more something for 2.0...

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 8 February 2016 18:52

Member · 56 comments

Amazing! Exactly now, I enetered this forum to ask you why Luna's going stagnant?
I'm glad I was wrong 🙂
Can you add some "Bump" feature?
I mean when some user wants to bring his/her topic up, He/She can easily do it with pressing the bump button not sending some spam post... Last time I saw this feature in Xenforo.

Last edited by EnglishParrot (8 February 2016 18:55)

By bem 8 February 2016 20:43

Member · 128 comments
EnglishParrot wrote

I mean when some user wants to bring his/her topic up, He/She can easily do it with pressing the bump button not sending some spam post... Last time I saw this feature in Xenforo.

That sounds like something that could be seriously abused. What if everyone does that to all their posts?

By Yannick 8 February 2016 22:15

EnglishParrot wrote

Amazing! Exactly now, I enetered this forum to ask you why Luna's going stagnant?
I'm glad I was wrong 🙂

I have to agree with Bem, this sounds like something that can easily be abused.

You can do anything

By kaaleth 11 February 2016 12:27

Member · 83 comments

Nice one. I cannot wait for improved UI. It would be nice to add accents for guests 😉

By kaaleth 14 February 2016 09:23

Member · 83 comments

any date of release?

By Yannick 14 February 2016 11:36

No date, we'll first have to go through a couple of alphas and betas first. 🙂 I would estimate end March for now for the final release, a first preview probably next week.

You can do anything

By bem 14 February 2016 12:11

Member · 128 comments

Oooh, just got reminded of something that I think is really important - better PM notifications. A lot of users on my forum don't know when they have a new PM as they don't notice the little counter in the top corner. So maybe bring back the email notification, or a notification at the top of the boards saying "You have a new PM message". Just a good visual aid.

I know that it'd very much be appreciated by everyone on my boards.

Last edited by bem (14 February 2016 12:11)

By Raf 14 February 2016 14:12

Member · 68 comments

any hope for a brown accent? or not so bright red? 😮

By Yannick 14 February 2016 14:25

bem wrote

Oooh, just got reminded of something that I think is really important - better PM notifications. A lot of users on my forum don't know when they have a new PM as they don't notice the little counter in the top corner. So maybe bring back the email notification, or a notification at the top of the boards saying "You have a new PM message". Just a good visual aid.

I know that it'd very much be appreciated by everyone on my boards.

Raf wrote

any hope for a brown accent? or not so bright red? 😮

Noted: https://github.com/GetLuna/Luna/issues/1454 🙂

Here's the current index design after the First Run has been disabled:

56c0928706e93-index.png

By the way, if you guys remember the concept, we where using a header image there behind First Run. The idea is that that will be a user-specific thing, however, for Luna 1.4, I'll introduce this but only as a board-wide option. So all users see the same image (if enabled).

You can do anything

By Raf 15 February 2016 10:05

Member · 68 comments

nice 😄

By Yannick 19 February 2016 20:06

We've just updated our board to Luna 2.0 Preview 0.6, this contains the same front-end as will be part of Luna 1.4 and thus also includes the new UI. However, due to some caching issues we're currently experiencing a very messed up UI here...

Anyway, we're well aware of the unfinished design. The profile's main page still needs a redesign, new posts are not marked by anything other than the icon and the help page too still needs a content update. This will follow shortly for both Luna 1.4 and Luna 2.0. When these fixes are done, we'll also be ready to release Luna 1.4 Preview 1. 🙂

You can do anything

By kaaleth 21 February 2016 14:40

Member · 83 comments

This is pretty nice design... I like it. Cannot wait for public release...

By bem 21 February 2016 16:24

Member · 128 comments

When looking at a PM that someone has sent me, I see no reply button. Is that meant to be the case? Can it be fixed for the next release? At the moment, I'm just selecting quote and removing the quote text, but not sure all users would think to do that.

By Yannick 21 February 2016 23:54

kaaleth wrote

This is pretty nice design... I like it. Cannot wait for public release...

Thanks. 🙂

bem wrote

When looking at a PM that someone has sent me, I see no reply button. Is that meant to be the case? Can it be fixed for the next release? At the moment, I'm just selecting quote and removing the quote text, but not sure all users would think to do that.

There's a "Reply" link at the top.

You can do anything

By bem 22 February 2016 11:42

Member · 128 comments

I was just about to say "no there isn't", but then I just about noticed it... you can see why I thought there was nothing there.
reply-button_zpsdp9mg5sc.jpg

It's showing white text on a white button.

By Yannick 22 February 2016 14:14

bem wrote

I was just about to say "no there isn't", but then I just about noticed it... you can see why I thought there was nothing there.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc24 … 9mg5sc.jpg

Ho, you're not talking about Luna 1.4/2.0. Please report bugs in the sections where they belong or on GitHub.

You can do anything

By kaaleth 28 February 2016 06:51

Member · 83 comments

It would be great to update UI for this forum, because at the moment it looks strange. Fonts in posts are bolded and there is no information about new answers in topics. Or am I missing something? I hope Yannick has fixed version of the theme so... please do this!

Moreover, I see forum activity goes down... I hope, Luna will not die.

By Yannick 28 February 2016 09:07

kaaleth wrote

It would be great to update UI for this forum, because at the moment it looks strange. Fonts in posts are bolded and there is no information about new answers in topics. Or am I missing something? I hope Yannick has fixed version of the theme so... please do this!

Moreover, I see forum activity goes down... I hope, Luna will not die.

The theme is still a development version, threads with new comments get a "bell" icon at the moment, but the plan is to let the colored strip at the front return too. Also, I'm not sure what you mean with "fonts in posts are bolded", they have just their normal weight...

Forum activity here has always fluctuated, no big deal. I'm currently working on Luna 1.3.2, 1.4 and 2.0. That's a lot of work and I knew - and said - that this was going to take some time upfront.

You can do anything

By kaaleth 28 February 2016 10:27

Member · 83 comments

For me, these fonts are very similar...

bold text
normal text

The previous one was much better. Light and more clear.

Edit:

Ok, I found out the problem... In my Opera it's looking weird. Edge does it better...

Last edited by kaaleth (28 February 2016 10:31)

By Yannick 28 February 2016 10:52

kaaleth wrote

bold text
normal text

Edit:

Ok, I found out the problem... In my Opera it's looking weird. Edge does it better...

I'll take a look at it.

Anyway, just pushed an update to the theme that fixes some issues and adds back in some missing features (like the new item marks).

You can do anything

By Yannick 2 March 2016 08:06

bem wrote

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc24 … 9mg5sc.jpg

This will be fixed in Luna 1.4. I'm not sure if there will be a 1.3.2 release, if there will be, I'll backport the fix to that release too.

You can do anything

By bem 3 March 2016 22:34

Member · 128 comments

Cheers.

I don't know whether this is something that wants to be done, or if it might just be too much... but is there plans to allow admin users to change the colours of the pinned, important and new message icons next to threads? On one hand it'd be cool to have them match a colour theme, but on another it's an extra backstage addition.

By Yannick 4 March 2016 08:36

bem wrote

Cheers.

I don't know whether this is something that wants to be done, or if it might just be too much... but is there plans to allow admin users to change the colours of the pinned, important and new message icons next to threads? On one hand it'd be cool to have them match a colour theme, but on another it's an extra backstage addition.

It currently is hardcoded and that might indeed not be such a good idea. I will put it in the theme files instead, but making this configurable through Backstage is not in the planning for now. A child theme should easily alter this in the first preview.

You can do anything

By Yannick 6 March 2016 00:22

Alright y'all, I'm preparing Luna 1.4 Preview 1 for next week, I hope to fix a couple of issues with the current state of Fifteen and include the new password-update and then we'll be ready for what I hope to ship with Preview 1. Night mode won't be part of Fifteen in this preview and neither will Sunrise work properly, more features will also have to wait until Preview 2.

You can do anything

By kaaleth 6 March 2016 17:38

Member · 83 comments
Yannick wrote
kaaleth wrote

bold text
normal text

Edit:

I'll take a look at it.

Anyway, just pushed an update to the theme that fixes some issues and adds back in some missing features (like the new item marks).

I just would like to say, Glitter theme has no issues with fonts on my Opera. Did you make some changes in this case? Moreover, I like Glitter theme more than this. Welcome back panel is much better. Left navigation too. Glitter is more compact, that I love. Please, think about it!

By Yannick 6 March 2016 20:51

kaaleth wrote
Yannick wrote
kaaleth wrote

bold text
normal text

Edit:

I'll take a look at it.

I just would like to say, Glitter theme has no issues with fonts on my Opera. Did you make some changes in this case? Moreover, I like Glitter theme more than this. Welcome back panel is much better. Left navigation too. Glitter is more compact, that I love. Please, think about it!

Glitter? What's Glitter?

The Welcome back-message didn't exist prior to this theme and it is the only theme so far to implement it (Sunrise doesn't have it and won't get it either). And besides that, elements haven't been taking up more space actually, yeah, the sidebar menu on the index moved down due to the avatar butt that's kinda it. What would you change?

--

Anyway, today I've worked on night mode (something I didn't expect to bring in the first preview, but there we go anyway), so that will make its return to this board soon too.

You can do anything

By bem 7 March 2016 09:46

Member · 128 comments
Yannick wrote

The Welcome back-message didn't exist prior to this theme and it is the only theme so far to implement it (Sunrise doesn't have it and won't get it either). And besides that, elements haven't been taking up more space actually, yeah, the sidebar menu on the index moved down due to the avatar butt that's kinda it. What would you change?

Out of interest, what will be changing with the Sunrise theme? That's the one I'm using right now and seems to be the preferred choice by my users. Are there any screenshots of 1.4 Sunrise, or are you just working on Fifteen for now?