Luna Emerald - UPDATE: 2.0.0 is here!

By bem 17 March 2016 21:44

Member · 133 comments

You could have something like a 5px coloured left border if there's no icon added... although it'd look if some forums have icons and you have one or two that don't (but that'd be a concern of whoever gives just a few of their forums icons). I think that'd look better than coloured text.

I just realised what this forum is missing (this particular version that is) - there's no pagination at the bottom of a thread any more. So you get the bottom of page two for this particular thread and you have to go all the way back to the top to go to the next page. Please say that'll be fixed 🙂

Last edited by bem (17 March 2016 22:24)

By Yannick 18 March 2016 12:51

Administrator · 1,455 comments
bem wrote

You could have something like a 5px coloured left border if there's no icon added... although it'd look if some forums have icons and you have one or two that don't (but that'd be a concern of whoever gives just a few of their forums icons). I think that'd look better than coloured text.

I've applied another design, the text caused some bad contrast in some color combinations with or without night mode.

bem wrote

I just realised what this forum is missing (this particular version that is) - there's no pagination at the bottom of a thread any more. So you get the bottom of page two for this particular thread and you have to go all the way back to the top to go to the next page. Please say that'll be fixed 🙂

I'm not going to say anything of the sorts. You'll have to see for yourself. I do want to say though that I am working on an updated pagination function that doesn't use Bootstrap's pagination class due to some annoying issues. And easier consistency with buttons.

You can do anything

By kaaleth 18 March 2016 17:16

Member · 83 comments

Thanks for pagination above the editor.

By Yannick 18 March 2016 17:20

Luna 1.4 Preview 3 is now out

...go get it. But the question is, what the heck is new?

Ze new features
- 3 new accents, Dark Red, Beige and Pink for you guys to try out
- You can now quickly comment on Inbox messages from the message view
- You can now upload a custom placeholder avatar

Ze improved features
- A couple of small database clean-ups
- Forums now have their color indicated again in the forums list in Fifteen
- The notification icon will now blimp to draw attention whenever there are unread notifications every time you load a page (This is a preparation for merging the Inbox notifications with the Notification center, in a future update, Inbox will be moved under the profile menu, with it's notifications in the notification icon)
- The notification fly-out has received an update for better mobile support
- Inbox is now placed in the user menu
- When a header image is set, it is now also previewed in the Backstage
- You can now remove a header image through the Backstage's interface
- "Back to top" is more touch-friendly in Fifteen
- The forum title blocks now have a better responsive design
- And we've - despite earlier announcements that it would start when Preview 3 is done - started work on Sunrise 🙂
- The profile has an improved navigation on mobile devices, stay tuned for another revamp to the "About"-panel
- We've revamped the profile menu in the Backstage and other minor interface updates

Ze other changes
- Luna now comes with Animate.css build-in
- Cancel-buttons now have a much less clashing design with the place they appear in
- Revamped pagination function

Ze fixes
- Avatars now show up again in threads
- Fifteen has also received many design improvements and fixes
- Fixes an issue where leaving the upload header field empty would cause saving to fail

What you can expect from us in the following previews
- Sunrise 3.0 (with 3 new accents)
- Improved meta tag usage for search engines
- SQLite 3 support, but this time no experimental driver: full bug-free support 😄
- Notifications for Inbox messages
- Revamped Notifications system
- Revamped search results (already in nightly)
- Many design refinements
- Bug fixes
- And more minor fixes and changes

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 19 March 2016 10:46

Member · 56 comments

I couldn't get Luna 1.3 Preview 3. I toke this error: Error: ID does not exist. when trying to download this version at here: http://getluna.org/cnt/get.php?id=140a3
Also, In this page, when I click on Download 1.4 Preview, I can just download version Preview 2.

By Yannick 19 March 2016 15:52

EnglishParrot wrote

I couldn't get Luna 1.3 Preview 3. I toke this error: Error: ID does not exist. when trying to download this version at here: http://getluna.org/cnt/get.php?id=140a3
Also, In this page, when I click on Download 1.4 Preview, I can just download version Preview 2.

My bad, fixed both.

You can do anything

By Yannick 20 March 2016 10:42

A Sunrise announcement

Alright people. As some of you know, back in the ModernBB-days, we had this series of themes called "Random". With the introduction of Luna, we ditched these themes in favor of Fifteen but said that we where working on - and might release - a Random-based theme for Luna. That didn't happen for 10 and 1.1, but with version 1.2 of Luna we redesigned the Sunrise-theme to look mostly like Random.

Problem is, most of that look was kind of "hack-ish". The code of that theme is horrible and my attempt to clean that up for Luna 1.4 is leading into more and more trouble with the theme. And that's why I've decided to ditch the whole Sunrise theme, and start again with Sunrise 3. Like version 1.x and unlike version 2.0, Sunrise 3.0 will be a child theme of Fifteen, and thus, it uses a lot of the assets that make up Fifteen (and that's mainly the Profile, Help, Inbox, Search, etc. sections).

Like Sunrise has always done, it's the forums that will take the main stage on the front page, showing you everything you could possibly want to know about the forums. The sidebar will remain with the profile, search and quick search options, but it will also show a "Recent activity"-feed just like todays Sunrise 2.

With Luna 1.4, I've a strong feeling that investing time into building Sunrise to be of the same quality as Fifteen is a waste of time, but I also see the need for a more classic-ish structured theme that does focus more on the idea of forums, instead of putting forums at the side like Fifteen does. I hope you all understand this and I'm open to feedback about Sunrise later on. We'll start using Sunrise 3 on this board ourselves to give it a good test run (we'll go back to Fifteen after that) and I hope to see some viable feedback by that time. 🙂

I believe that making Sunrise a Fifteen-child again will ultimately result in the best experience and allows me to put more focus on other things - *Luna 2* - that will be more relevant to Luna's future anyway.

You can do anything

By bem 20 March 2016 12:51

Member · 133 comments

That's understandable - most pages don't overly need to look different. If the main page, forums and topics look similar to how Sunrise looks currently, then I'm happy. They're the most important pages really that separate the two themes.

By Yannick 20 March 2016 13:32

bem wrote

That's understandable - most pages don't overly need to look different. If the main page, forums and topics look similar to how Sunrise looks currently, then I'm happy. They're the most important pages really that separate the two themes.

Well, I'm about to start using the new Sunrise on this forum but before I do that, just the comment: the thread view is still in development and thus not part of this update to this forum just yet, therefor, Luna will just use the Sunrise version. The index and forum view are already rebuild (although not finished). I'll enable Sunrise later today.
--
Edit, it's up! Make sure to check out the index and forum view. As said, thread view is coming soon. Also make sure to take a look at the new profile UI for the "About"-pane (and the "Contact"-pane, although less change there), which is shared between Fifteen and Sunrise.

You can do anything

By bem 21 March 2016 09:14

Member · 133 comments

The main page looks lovely - on a mobile it's beautiful looking.

Forum view seems like it's missing something though. It's too similar to Fifteen - no where near like Sunrise. I think it needs to feel more like the index page. On the forum view, one thing that needs to change is the recent list on the left. It could confuse people, especially on a mobile when they go into a forum and they have the recent list first off with topics from all different forums. Not sure what I'd do there instead, but would hide the whole left panel when on a mobile in forum and topic view. Maybe after the index, none of it needs the left panel, or can that not be done with Sunrise becoming a child theme?

Haven't seen it yet, but when there's a new post, does clicking on the topic in the recent activity take you to the new posts, or just to the first post in the topic?

By Yannick 21 March 2016 09:37

I haven't yet touched the thread list, no worries, it will get a similar look as the index (with comments and views display, etc.).

The recent activity currently redirect you just to the first comment of the thread right now. Changing that behavior to the oldest new comment since your last visit is in the planning.

--

EDIT:
I'll publish an updated alpha later today with the new thread list design and other improvements (major work on the Notification cent is on the way).

You can do anything

By bem 21 March 2016 09:41

Member · 133 comments

Ah okay, cool. You've done a great job with the look of the index page 😄

By Yannick 21 March 2016 19:33

bem wrote

Ah okay, cool. You've done a great job with the look of the index page 😄

First draft of the new thread view is now up. Other important changes are revamped notifications (you can now dismiss them individually, clicking them will also mark them as seen, etc), minor design updates for Fifteen/Sunrise, subscribe on forums is back, drop A LOT of Javascript and other minor and major changes.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 22 March 2016 07:35

Member · 56 comments

I think luna has to bring me to the last comment of thread when I click on an activity normally. As all of other forum softwares do.
I've already read the first comments, And directing to the first comment maybe uncomfortable for users.
Some unimportant thing 🙂 , "Recent activities" is better than "Recent activity"!
Last case, Look at the picture:
http://up.persianscript.ir/uploadsmedia … 121531.jpg
Don't you think that's better to show all of the recent activity text in one line? Why seprating anyone in two lines?

Last edited by EnglishParrot (22 March 2016 07:47)

By Yannick 22 March 2016 08:14

EnglishParrot wrote

I think luna has to bring me to the last comment of thread when I click on an activity normally. As all of other forum softwares do.
I've already read the first comments, And directing to the first comment maybe uncomfortable for users.
Some unimportant thing 🙂 , "Recent activities" is better than "Recent activity"!
Last case, Look at the picture:
http://up.persianscript.ir/uploadsmedia … 121531.jpg
Don't you think that's better to show all of the recent activity text in one line? Why seprating anyone in two lines?

As said earlier in this thread, I'm working on that behavior. 🙂

--

This behavior is now on our GitHub repository. Also, I've improved the mobile design for both the Recent activity listing as for the threads list themselves. I'll roll out these changes to our own board later and obviously; they will be part of Preview 4.

You can do anything

By Ultionix 22 March 2016 14:13

Member · 7 comments

I am looking to test out Preview 3, but when I try to install it i get:
Error: Unable to add administrator user. Please check your configuration and try again.

By Ultionix 22 March 2016 14:43

Member · 7 comments

It seems that Luna is not creating a config.php, but has created the database.

By Ultionix 22 March 2016 14:48

Member · 7 comments

Even though creating a config.php file that points to the database works, registering or logging in does not.
Error: Unable to create user.

By Ultionix 22 March 2016 14:56

Member · 7 comments

Huh, suddenly works now, nevermind.

By Yannick 22 March 2016 15:03

Ultionix wrote

Huh, suddenly works now, nevermind.

We're aware of issues with the installer in Preview 3. For a correct setup, I would suggest you first install Luna 1.3.1 and then upgrade to 1.4 Preview 3. Otherwise, you can also download the nightly builds from GitHub or wait until Preview 4 lands later this week.

You can do anything

By Yannick 23 March 2016 09:12

We've reached the next milestone:

Luna Emerald Preview 4 is now out

...go get it. But the question is - once again -  what the heck is new?

New features
- Sunrise 3.0 is now part of the package
- You can now subscribe to forums in Fifteen and Sunrise
- When clicking a notification, Luna will now mark it as read
- You can now dismiss and remove individual notifications from the Notifications page in your profile
- You can now upload a favicon to Luna in Settings > Branding
- Luna now comes with a default favicon

Improved features
- Update userlist design
- The profile has a new UI
- The Backstage has a fully reworked structure that is more logical (Markup settings are now all located under "Markup"! Who would have thought?!)
- Alerts and announcements now have a night mode design of their own
- Thread actions now have a more mobile-friendly UI when on small screen
- Comment actions now use icons, are reordered to be more logical and have a larger design
- The Search results now show you more information and look similar to normal thread lists
- The indent in front of threads is no longer shown when not used
- The randomly selected accent is now the same for guests, users and Backstage for new installations
- Update notifications now link to About, not to Backstage Index
- Luna now relies much less on Javascript

Other changes
- Dates are now written out fully by default
- Components are now located in the /vendor/-folder in the root
- We've dropped advanced theme options (the panel where themes could show their own options) as we felt it wasn't being used
- Database management is no longer possible from the Backstage: we're not a database system and I feel uncomfortable in doing thins I cannot support properly
- You can no longer add a new user through the Backstage
- Notifications can no longer be trashed or dismissed from the fly-out

Bug fixes
- The Installer now work properly again
- Fixed a bug with dropdowns hiding the full page
- Fixed a bug where First Run would use a blue background no matter what accent was used
- Plurals now get translated properly
- Fixes multiple markup issues

What you can expect from us in the following previews
- A new thread view for Sunrise 3
- Improved meta tag usage for search engines
- SQLite 3 support, but this time no experimental driver: full bug-free support 😄
- Notifications for Inbox messages
- Many design refinements
- Bug fixes

What we consider to include in the coming previews (MAYBE)
- Free accent choice for guests

Before updating

Make sure to remove the old Sunrise-folder from the /themes/-folder in the root of your board. Otherwise this might cause trouble as Luna will fail to detect what page should be a child and what not.

You can do anything

By bem 23 March 2016 09:28

Member · 133 comments

All sounds great.

Just to let you know though, all the options for a post are visible to users - edit, quote, answer, soft delete, delete, report. Can see them all on every post.

By Yannick 23 March 2016 09:33

bem wrote

All sounds great.

Just to let you know though, all the options for a post are visible to users - edit, quote, answer, soft delete, delete, report. Can see them all on every post.

Should be fixed now.

You can do anything

By Raf 23 March 2016 10:02

Member · 68 comments
Yannick wrote

We've reached the next milestone:

Luna 1.4 Preview 4 is now out

...go get it. But the question is - once again -  what the heck is new?
-snip-

I dont want to be "that guy", but are you not taking this a little far for an y release? you do follow semantic versioning, right? i am pretty sure this should be an x. but keep up the good work! 😄

Last edited by Raf (23 March 2016 10:03)

By Vadim 23 March 2016 10:06

Member · 224 comments