Importing from PunBB

By ephestione 25 August 2014 14:49

Member · 7 comments

I decided to upgrade my forum at http://www.medico-odontoiatra.it/forum/ which is PunbBB 1.3.6, didn't care about it not being updated (still, latest update is from 2012 anyway...) but I got fedup with some erratic behaviour it's showing lately which I am too uninterested to trace and solve.

ModernBB looks like the most logical (I hope) step (other than visually very appealing!), since I like the concept behind PunBB and FluxBB is dead-ish anyway, but I obviously need to migrate my forum contents and organization onto ModernBB, still there are no results while searching for an import method to use with this software.

How would I go about it?

By ephestione 25 August 2014 15:13

Member · 7 comments

(bumping to make the "automatically subscribe" feature kick in, as I just enabled it and I didn't see any link in this page to enable it manually)

By Yannick 25 August 2014 17:36

Administrator · 1,453 comments

As ModernBB is an fork of FluxBB which is a fork of PunBB, there is no need for migration, you can simply replace the PunBB files with a ModernBB installation. I suggest you download ModernBB 1.6 first, this will trigger the update from PunBB 1.6 to ModernBB 1.6 as soon as you visit your website, after that, you can download ModernBB 3.4.3 and update to that version (there is no direct path as we dropped support for updating from PunBB a while ago).

You can do anything

By ephestione 25 August 2014 19:03

Member · 7 comments

Good to hear, one possibly tedious part of the job has already been taken care of, thankyou!

By azzepis 12 January 2015 08:32

Member · 1 comments

Hi, what about import from phpBB? is there a simple way?

By Yannick 12 January 2015 17:26

Administrator · 1,453 comments

Simple, yes, short, not so much.

Anyway, to import from phpBB, you can download FluxBB 1.4 and the FluxBB converter following these instructions. After that, you replace the FluxBB files with ModernBB and click "Upgrade" in the dialoge box in your browser when visiting your forum.

You can do anything