Luna 2.0: Feedback on Backstage

By Yannick 8 June 2015 20:23

Administrator · 1,451 comments

Hey everybody

As you might know, we've started the works on Luna 2.0. This major revamp of Luna is going to be just that: major. And as we move to a more modern codebase, we've decided that Backstage v5.0 will be the best Backstage a Backstage has ever been. However, to do that, we need some feedback. So, let's talk about the Backstage. I want to know a couple of simple things from you guys:

- What do you like the most about Backstage?
- What feature do you like in our current Backstage that doesn't exist in other software projects?
- What feature do you want to see in our Backstage that does exist in other software projects?
- What do you think about the user interface for desktops, tablets and smartphones?

Anything about the Backstage is welcome. And we hope to be able to incorporate as much feedback in Backstage 5.0 as possible. For the matter, the codename of this new Backstage is Astrid.

Good night (day in other locations)
Yannick

And for the people that want to know:

ModernBB 1.6-1.7: Admin Panel v1
ModernBB 2.0-2.3: Backstage v2
ModernBB 3.0-3.7: Backstage v3
ModernBB 3.8 & Luna 1.0-1.1: Backstage v4
Luna 2.0-x.x: Backstage v5 "Astrid"

You can do anything

By Vadim 9 June 2015 09:09

Member · 224 comments

I have a lot of desire, but not sure you'll like them.

1. If you make a ticket system, as the example here (kayako.com/product/tour/), your forum will be used to support business customers.
2. If you make a login system through the social network, then it will be easier for people to register on the forum.
3. If you make the system "likes", then people will be more interesting obschatsya forum.
4. If you make a system of surveys, it will be possible to conduct polls on the forum.
5. If you make a system of membership, the members of the group can be given access to the private branch on the forum.
6. If you make a paid access system, people will be able to for a month or half a year to buy access to the membership in a closed group.
7. If you make a login form for the site, then the person on the site will be able to register on the forum.
8. If you make blocks of advertising, then the administrators will be able to advertise on the forum.

Last edited by Vadim (9 June 2015 09:12)

I do not understand the code. I am learning English.

By Yannick 9 June 2015 09:34

Well, to be honest, all of you points don't have anything to do with the Backstage UX and seconldy: they are against our philosophy. These are the things that we leave up to our plugins.

You can do anything

By Raf 9 June 2015 09:36

Member · 68 comments
Yannick wrote

ModernBB 1.6-1.7: Admin Panel v1
ModernBB 2.0-2.3: Backstage v2
ModernBB 3.0-3.7: Backstage v3
ModernBB 3.8 & Luna 1.0-1.1: Backstage v4
Luna 2.0-x.x: Backstage v5 "Astrid"

Wait, what? There is a ModernBB 3.8? For the matter of fact, there is a ModernBB 2.3? Also, does this indicate that there won't be a Luna 1.2 and later? I tought there would be multiple versions within the Luna 1.x branch.

Anyway, I like the general structure very much, through it would be even better if some pages are split into more pages, like the Settings page, which is more a page with Settings that couldn't be put somewhere else.

Last edited by Raf (9 June 2015 09:51)

By Yannick 10 June 2015 15:04

Yes there is, and it has the look and feel of the Luna Backstage. However, I'm not sure if it will ever get released, or pushed to GitHub for the matter of fact. ModernBB 2.3 has been available in the nightly branch for a while but never got a release.

You can do anything

By CaerCam 10 June 2015 23:19

Member · 54 comments

How about introducing some Ajax for fun and profit? Kind of like WordPress' Dashboard. It could be deactivated very easily for JavaScript-allergic admins -- all there is to do is not load the JS files -- and would provide one-click creation/modification/sorting for forums/categories/users, as well as automatic settings saving. You just edited your board's description? Cool! It's already been saved to the database, cache has been consequentially cleaned and the Dashboard's page has just been altered to show your change immediately. Don't have JavaScript enabled? Just click 'Save' look you usually do.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Last edited by CaerCam (10 June 2015 23:21)

By Yannick 11 June 2015 05:11

CaerCam wrote

How about introducing some Ajax for fun and profit?

We aint fun. 😋

Aside from that, it sure is something to incorporate in the new Backstage, it has a clear advantage over the way it currently works.

You can do anything

By CaerCam 11 June 2015 12:25

Member · 54 comments

Cool! Do you have a specific structure for the backstage yet?

By Yannick 11 June 2015 18:46

What structure do you mean?

You can do anything

By CaerCam 12 June 2015 00:24

Member · 54 comments

Layout. Any wireframe or sketch to help picture the design?

By Yannick 12 June 2015 04:17

The design is mostly going to stay the same as it is right now in Luna 1.1, it's just about the underlying code.

You can do anything

By CaerCam 12 June 2015 11:01

Member · 54 comments

Okay. Good news, I like the current design of the Backstage.

By Yannick 12 June 2015 12:37

CaerCam wrote

Any feedback on it is still helpfull through. I think it's a great design for admin-purpose - especialy compared to some others - but nothing is perfect and I sure think there are still some enhancements to be made.

You can do anything

By __init__ 12 June 2015 20:55

Member · 40 comments

I'd like a way for admins to converse about specific reports. Also it takes a couple clicks to change the theme...

By Yannick 12 June 2015 21:11

Why would you want the theme settings to be less clicks away? Usualy a theme stays the same for quiet some time, not realy a setting one would switch every day.

You can do anything

By __init__ 12 June 2015 21:22

Member · 40 comments
Yannick wrote

Why would you want the theme settings to be less clicks away? Usualy a theme stays the same for quiet some time, not realy a setting one would switch every day.

No I mean you have to click on the change theme button a couple of times for it to work.

By Raf 14 June 2015 10:22

Member · 68 comments

I would like to see some buttons with for the rules input 🙂

By Yannick 23 June 2015 20:24

*Thread cleaned*

You can do anything

By Yannick 26 June 2015 11:07

CaerCam wrote

I would like to add a note to this, because what I said earlier isn't completely right: there will be visual changes to the Backstage, and I'm mainly thinking about a major refresh of the Moderator page and the Board (Category and Forum managament) page. These pages will probably be unrecognizable.

You can do anything

By __init__ 29 June 2015 18:48

Member · 40 comments

Another thing I'd like to see is dragging and dropping boards rather than editing indices.

By Echos 29 June 2015 21:39

Member · 2 comments
__init__ wrote

Another thing I'd like to see is dragging and dropping boards rather than editing indices.

Totally!