What shall we do? Work on 1.4, or just skip to 2.0?

By Yannick 6 December 2015 20:41

Administrator · 1,387 comments

So...

I'm about to release the first beta for 1.3 coming week (and the 1.2.4 update, for anyone wondering) which means that this release will be in lockdown by then. Moving on, we've planned a 1.4 release for April 2016, but should we work on that version, or just move on directly to Luna 2.0 and put all our focus on the big rewrite? I like to include all you guys in the development work, and the planning is a part of that, so tell me what you guys would prefer: an interim (and small) release in April in the form of 1.4, or move on to 2.0 which might land earliest in the second half of 2016.

Discuss below!

You can do anything

By bem 6 December 2015 21:34

Member · 117 comments

What are the changes that would come in 1.4?

If you did 1.4 for release in April, when would 2.0 be ready?

By Sfideremo 6 December 2015 23:27

Member · 20 comments

By EnglishParrot 7 December 2015 10:56

Member · 56 comments

I prefer 2.0.
I like big changes, that make Luna something like MyBB and PHPBB...

Last edited by EnglishParrot (7 December 2015 11:08)

By Yannick 7 December 2015 11:16

Changes for 1.4 are unknown for now, these would be minor feedback items that got incorporated. However, obviously, this means that we'll have to develop these features twice (for 1.4 and 2.0). If 1.4 will be part of our scheme, 2.0 will be delayed by at least 3 months.

You can do anything

By Vadim 8 December 2015 07:13

Member · 224 comments

I do not understand the code. I am learning English.

By CaerCam 8 December 2015 15:06

Member · 54 comments

2.0. There's a huge lot of work to do on the code to make Luna up to the competition, priority should be on the core development.

By bem 8 December 2015 15:19

Member · 117 comments

2.0 - from what we've seen it looks great, so yeah, would be good to see that sooner than later.

By Yannick 8 December 2015 16:03

Before we move on, I would like to get all of you down to earth a bit; to have an idea of what "Luna 2" is. First of all, don't expect some system like you can find on phpBB or MyBB. Our goal continues to be an easy to use AND easy to read program. And with "read", I mean that the code should be crystal clear and easy to understand. We'll extend our features, but its not about making a "freakily light yet advanced" piece of forum software, it's about a "freakily light and simple" piece. But obviously, we'll make Luna 2 a much more pleasant experience. I'm looking at you, position settings!

Anyway, looks like 1.4 is now a cancelled release.

You can do anything

By Vadim 8 December 2015 22:12

Member · 224 comments
Yannick wrote

Before we move on, I would like to get all of you down to earth a bit; to have an idea of what "Luna 2" is.

We can write here?

I do not understand the code. I am learning English.

By Raf 26 December 2015 23:30

Member · 62 comments

alright you, what's that "experimental" milestone on github for and why did you remove "emerald" from the 2.0 one? youre going to ignore you own conclusion, arent you?

By Yannick 27 December 2015 07:52

Raf wrote

alright you, what's that "experimental" milestone on github for and why did you remove "emerald" from the 2.0 one? youre going to ignore you own conclusion, arent you?

It's just a milestone to test out some minor features that might or might not become part of Luna 1.

You can do anything

By Raf 27 December 2015 13:24

Member · 62 comments

You said the same thing about that refresh-update after 1.2 what turned into 1.3...

By Yannick 27 December 2015 14:35

Raf wrote

You said the same thing about that refresh-update after 1.2 what turned into 1.3...

1.2 Refresh was merged with the 1.3 update because doing what I wanted to do would clash with our Semantic versioning system. Also, 1.3 already was planned, it just got some more changes.

You can do anything

By meetdilip 28 December 2015 12:52

Member · 3 comments

My vote too goes for 2.0 😁

By CaerCam 28 December 2015 21:45

Member · 54 comments

Could be a good thing to have a private repository to test things instead of public branches. I've had issues lately on some personal projects with people using this kind of branches on live sites and then experiencing errors and complaining about it. Sometimes it's just more efficient to keep some parts of the development restricted until they get stable enough to be publicly shared.

GitHub offers a few private repositories in exchange for a small fee; I myself use BitBucket which has unlimited free repositories.

By Yannick 28 December 2015 22:44

Mmm, seems indeed like a nice thing. May consider moving our practices. On the other hand, we'll lose everything we've got so far... Hmmmm.

You can do anything

By CaerCam 29 December 2015 11:31

Member · 54 comments

Why would we lose anything at all? To stick with my personal example I use public GitHub repositories for public developments and issue tracking, and a simple private BitBucket repo to develop experimental stuffs; once I'm done experimenting I simply move the code to a public branch or repo on GitHub.

Having separate, private repositories allows to move fast on developing some parts with the absolute certainty that no one will mistakenly download and use those parts or think they're meant to join the core at some point. I've had that problem when testing some WYSIWIG editors: users found the experimental branch and assumed that feature would come live soon, so they were very disappointed to find out it was just me playing around with things I never meant to be really public… From now on I use private repo to avoid that kind of trouble.

By Yannick 29 December 2015 12:01

CaerCam wrote

Why would we lose anything at all? To stick with my personal example I use public GitHub repositories for public developments and issue tracking, and a simple private BitBucket repo to develop experimental stuffs; once I'm done experimenting I simply move the code to a public branch or repo on GitHub.

Having separate, private repositories allows to move fast on developing some parts with the absolute certainty that no one will mistakenly download and use those parts or think they're meant to join the core at some point. I've had that problem when testing some WYSIWIG editors: users found the experimental branch and assumed that feature would come live soon, so they were very disappointed to find out it was just me playing around with things I never meant to be really public… From now on I use private repo to avoid that kind of trouble.

I actually ment everything around the git repository: the issues, milestones, etc.

You can do anything

By CaerCam 29 December 2015 14:49

Member · 54 comments

Right. But since we're talking about experimental stuff I'm not quite sure issues and milestones are really required at this stage; plus they will still be available where it really matters, on public repos.

By Yannick 29 December 2015 15:57

CaerCam wrote

Right. But since we're talking about experimental stuff I'm not quite sure issues and milestones are really required at this stage; plus they will still be available where it really matters, on public repos.

Well, I would more prefer all that stuff on one service instead of using multiple services for it. 😁

You can do anything