Beware: Discussity - Modern Forum Software

By Yannick 2 April 2016 15:33

Administrator · 1,453 comments

Hello everyone

Today, it has been brought to my attention that someone copied Luna and is currently selling it under the name of "Discussity". Although it isn't illegal to redistribute GPL licensed code and sell it, it IS illegal to redistribute it without providing the source code. Especially if you remove the copyright claims. As far as I could find out, the copyright that notes rights to PunBB, FluxBB and Luna are all being violated by this project and I'll be looking into this issue further. Sadly, already one person has bought the software.

I''ll be going in discussion with CodeCanyon to see what can be done about this and I'm looking into other project by KreaHive to see whether or not they are also stolen. In the meantime, I obviously strongly advice against paying for Discussity. Because they are literally charging you $28 for half a year support for a very early preview of Luna 2 (I think that they based their code on Luna 1.4/2.0 Preview 1) while you can get it here for free. Stable. And with an - if you ask me - much better looking default theme. And of course, legal. I'll keep you guys up-to-date on the matter in this thread. A nice tibbit about KreaHive is that they used to be called ModernLab. And guess what our previous moniker was? Indeed. ModernBB, ModernCount, etc.

Have a nice day
-- Yannick

You can do anything

By Yannick 2 April 2016 18:06

Update

An update on it. CreaHive has taken down their Discussity project. But there it didn't stop, they also provided software called "Workflow", which turns out is also a copy of an existing GPL licensed project called Phproject. They've also taken down that one.

You can do anything

By EnglishParrot 2 April 2016 19:02

Member · 56 comments

Interesting! What will be the next project... Talkactivility (EsoTalk)!
I t:ink you cannot do anything. If he/she sell the products in his/her own webaite via paypal, That's no way to prevention.

By Yannick 2 April 2016 20:50

EnglishParrot wrote

Interesting! What will be the next project... Talkactivility (EsoTalk)!
I t:ink you cannot do anything. If he/she sell the products in his/her own webaite via paypal, That's no way to prevention.

There is: sue him for copyright infringement, and if wouldn't do it, I'm pretty sure that Informer would (the company behind PunBB). Anyway, everything related to this KreaHive is now down.

You can do anything