Google Charts Plugin

By Jakob G. 12 April 2016 08:09

Member · 2 comments

Hi there,

for a school project, i'd like to create a plugin for Luna with wich you can display data in easy to comprehend ways such as tables, graphs and charts. I have some experience with php and whish to expend it by doing this project, however currently i'm kind of stuck in the planning phase. I'd like to make it easy and intuitive to enter the data, so i would like to create bb-tags such as [visualisation][dataRow] and so on (you get the basic idea), and include buttons in the editor to make including them in your text more easy.
I've got a good idea of what to do to achieve all this, however there are two problems:

1.) I would like to use the google charts system (https://developers.google.com/chart/) to display the data in all of its' forms (table, graph, chart...), however i do not know if those google products fit with the open source license and the general policy of luna and its' development team.

2.) In my current plan to achieve the wanted behaviour, i'd have to edit core files, such as the parser.php, but that's not what I originally intended to do, as that is more like a mod and less like a plugin. Replacing or editing files of the existing system when creating a plugin seems like bad (or rather worst) practice to me, but i don't really know what to do about this currently. Does anyone here have any ideas on how to achieve the inclusion of the behaviour I want without having to edit the systems' files? Just a simple hint into the right direction would probably be enough already...

thanks in advance,
Jakob

By Yannick 12 April 2016 12:10

Administrator · 1,451 comments

Hey Jakob, welcome!

1) It depends on which license is used for Charts, do you know which, then I can answer this question.

2) This is currently not possible without changing core files, sorry. We're looking into this for future releases.

You can do anything

By Jakob G. 12 April 2016 15:24

Member · 2 comments

Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick response.

Google charts is published under creative commons 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
I`ll then simply realize the school project as a mod, should be good enough for my purposes anyways..