Banning and Deleting Users not working in Luna 1.3.1

By blok601 21 April 2016 22:58

Member · 19 comments

Hello! I needed to Ban and Delete a couple troll users from my forum. For some reason, when I click it, nothing happens.

Anything I should do?

Is it possible to be addicted to a forum software?

By Yannick 22 April 2016 04:07

Administrator · 1,390 comments

From where did you try to delete/ban them? Backstage or Profile?

You can do anything

By blok601 22 April 2016 21:00

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote

From where did you try to delete/ban them? Backstage or Profile?

Profile. I also tried backstage and that didn't work either.

Last edited by blok601 (23 April 2016 02:03)

By Yannick 25 April 2016 20:25

It seems to work fine on my end. Can you please tell me the steps you took and if you got any error?

You can do anything

By blok601 30 April 2016 13:42

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote

It seems to work fine on my end. Can you please tell me the steps you took and if you got any error?

I will just make a quick video of it:

By Yannick 30 April 2016 16:42

Thank you, I'll take a look into it. However, I don't think that there will be fix for this in 1.3 as I'm planning to drop support for that version when 2.0 goes out (which should happen in the next few days). I'll try to get a fix in 2.0.0 if it turns out it is still there, but so far, I can't replicate your issue, so I assume it isn't (but I'm still looking into it).

I can provide instructions on how to fix this behavior in case you're not planning to upgrade as soon as it is released.

Meanwhile, a workaround to ban an user is going to the following URL:

<<base_url>>/backstage/bans.php?add_ban=<<user_id>>

And fill in base_url with your boards base URL and user_id with the user you want to ban.

You can do anything

By Yannick 30 April 2016 19:00

Update:

I'm still unable to reproduce your results. However, can you tell me if the above URL path works? Can you visit and actually use that ban page? This behavior start to look like something might be wrong with your permissions. Did you change something to Luna or in the database? I suggest you to delete your cache.

Additionally, you might want to take a look at the following. Go to the /backstage/groups.php-file an look for

$mod_edit_users = $mod_rename_users = $mod_change_passwords = $mod_ban_users = $read_board = $view_users = $comment = $create_threads = $edit_comments = $delete_comments = $delete_threads = $set_title = $search = $search_users = $send_email = $soft_delete_view = $soft_delete_comments = $soft_delete_threads = $inbox_allow = '1';
		$moderator = $comment_flood = $search_flood = $email_flood = $report_flood = $inbox_limit = '0';

replace it with

$mod_edit_users = $moderator = $mod_rename_users = $mod_change_passwords = $mod_ban_users = $read_board = $view_users = $comment = $create_threads = $edit_comments = $delete_comments = $delete_threads = $set_title = $search = $search_users = $send_email = $soft_delete_view = $soft_delete_comments = $soft_delete_threads = $inbox_allow = '1';
		$comment_flood = $search_flood = $email_flood = $report_flood = $inbox_limit = '0';

Go to Backstage > Groups > Admins and save the admin settings again (without changing anything), delete the cache and than try again.

Although on the other hand, I'm not sure that it is a permissions problem as this isn't the way missing permissions should respond at all (reloading the page instead of going to the ban page).

You can do anything

By blok601 30 April 2016 23:16

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote

Update:

I'm still unable to reproduce your results. However, can you tell me if the above URL path works? Can you visit and actually use that ban page? This behavior start to look like something might be wrong with your permissions. Did you change something to Luna or in the database? I suggest you to delete your cache.

Additionally, you might want to take a look at the following. Go to the /backstage/groups.php-file an look for

$mod_edit_users = $mod_rename_users = $mod_change_passwords = $mod_ban_users = $read_board = $view_users = $comment = $create_threads = $edit_comments = $delete_comments = $delete_threads = $set_title = $search = $search_users = $send_email = $soft_delete_view = $soft_delete_comments = $soft_delete_threads = $inbox_allow = '1';
		$moderator = $comment_flood = $search_flood = $email_flood = $report_flood = $inbox_limit = '0';

replace it with

$mod_edit_users = $moderator = $mod_rename_users = $mod_change_passwords = $mod_ban_users = $read_board = $view_users = $comment = $create_threads = $edit_comments = $delete_comments = $delete_threads = $set_title = $search = $search_users = $send_email = $soft_delete_view = $soft_delete_comments = $soft_delete_threads = $inbox_allow = '1';
		$comment_flood = $search_flood = $email_flood = $report_flood = $inbox_limit = '0';

Go to Backstage > Groups > Admins and save the admin settings again (without changing anything), delete the cache and than try again.

Although on the other hand, I'm not sure that it is a permissions problem as this isn't the way missing permissions should respond at all (reloading the page instead of going to the ban page).

This is most likely the dumbest thing anyone has done, but when you said delete your cache, I deleted the folder itself. Now, I am getting this error:

a06558cfa690ad42bc0afae16a514203

https://gyazo.com/a06558cfa690ad42bc0afae16a514203

Last edited by blok601 (30 April 2016 23:16)

By blok601 1 May 2016 00:50

Member · 19 comments
blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote

Update:

replace it with

This is most likely the dumbest thing anyone has done, but when you said delete your cache, I deleted the folder itself. Now, I am getting this error:

I restored the cache files from a previous version and I cleared them once again. BUt, the URL hasn't worked:

https://gyazo.com/d01008abe4e2d02251b000dfb4f0119f

Last edited by blok601 (1 May 2016 00:51)

By Yannick 1 May 2016 06:07

blok601 wrote

I restored the cache files from a previous version and I cleared them once again. BUt, the URL hasn't worked:

No, no. The user ID is the number you see in the address bar when viewing their profile. The name is not the ID.

You can do anything

By blok601 1 May 2016 22:30

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote

No, no. The user ID is the number you see in the address bar when viewing their profile. The name is not the ID.

Ah, okay. I think that works. Just a question though, whatever the problem is, (its most likely on my side anyway) will it be resolved with the new version of Luna?

By Yannick 1 May 2016 22:58

blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote

Ah, okay. I think that works. Just a question though, whatever the problem is, (its most likely on my side anyway) will it be resolved with the new version of Luna?

I don't know. I'm unable to replicate your issue in 1.3.1, so I can't really test if it is solved in 2.0 either. That will be something you'll need to find out yourself. Meanwhile, I am trying multiple situations to test this behavior but so far I've not found the issue, neither can I really explain why it just reloads the page. Anyway, I've got another couple of questions for you:

1. So, did it actually work by going directly to the URL? You didn't really answer that question. ('I think that works')
2. What browser (and version) are you using, I've been assuming the latest version of Chrome, but many Chromium forks look the same.
3. Does this behavior also happen in a different browser?
4. I've always assumed you're logged in as an Admin, am I correct?
5. Did you change any permissions for the group the user is in you're trying to ban, if yes, which?

Perhaps you could try to duplicate your forum offline and upgrade that offline copy to 2.0-rc.1 and test if this still happens (note that there is an issue in the profile settings for Admins that may cause the ban and delete features to not be visible, so you'll need to test the Backstage methode).

You can do anything

By blok601 5 May 2016 21:54

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote

I don't know. I'm unable to replicate your issue in 1.3.1, so I can't really test if it is solved in 2.0 either. That will be something you'll need to find out yourself. Meanwhile, I am trying multiple situations to test this behavior but so far I've not found the issue, neither can I really explain why it just reloads the page. Anyway, I've got another couple of questions for you:

1. So, did it actually work by going directly to the URL? You didn't really answer that question. ('I think that works')
2. What browser (and version) are you using, I've been assuming the latest version of Chrome, but many Chromium forks look the same.
3. Does this behavior also happen in a different browser?
4. I've always assumed you're logged in as an Admin, am I correct?
5. Did you change any permissions for the group the user is in you're trying to ban, if yes, which?

Perhaps you could try to duplicate your forum offline and upgrade that offline copy to 2.0-rc.1 and test if this still happens (note that there is an issue in the profile settings for Admins that may cause the ban and delete features to not be visible, so you'll need to test the Backstage methode).

I think I will just wait until the next version of Luna comes out if that's okay. Thanks for the help.

1. It didn't work as the user commented something today.
2. Latest Chrome
3.  Yes
4. Correct.
5. No

By blok601 13 May 2016 01:14

Member · 19 comments

I think this may be a problem with my Admin account. This is what happens when I go to the Admin Settings:

https://gyazo.com/e34443eb58c5591dd43d4de817b13a95

By Yannick 13 May 2016 04:39

blok601 wrote

I think this may be a problem with my Admin account. This is what happens when I go to the Admin Settings:

Seems fine to me.

You can do anything

By blok601 13 May 2016 19:33

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote

Seems fine to me.

Is it not supposed to load the permissions?

By bem 13 May 2016 19:40

Member · 118 comments

Doesn't load permissions for admins as they have all permissions - and no admin would remove their own permissions, so pointless even showing them.

By Yannick 13 May 2016 19:44

blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote

Seems fine to me.

It only shows the permissions that are appliable to the group. Guests and admins don't have access to all permissions because for guests they are all disabled anyway (as you don't want to give guests any of these permissions) and admins need all permissions, as that is the very definition of "admin".

Anyway, it still doesn't work in version 2?

You can do anything

By blok601 13 May 2016 21:12

Member · 19 comments
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote

Seems fine to me.

It only shows the permissions that are appliable to the group. Guests and admins don't have access to all permissions because for guests they are all disabled anyway (as you don't want to give guests any of these permissions) and admins need all permissions, as that is the very definition of "admin".

No it doesn't I can't even change the theme.  At this point we are debating just resetting the whole database.

By Yannick 13 May 2016 21:58

blok601 wrote
Yannick wrote
blok601 wrote

No it doesn't I can't even change the theme.  At this point we are debating just resetting the whole database.

Well, before you reset anything I would suggest you just install a second installation next to your current board and see if that works. If it doesn't, it spares you database reset. Anyway, you can't save any settings either? Are you certain your /cache/-folder is writeable?

You can do anything