Option to automatically subscribe to threads

By Senk Ju 17 June 2018 01:12

Member · 6 comments

Users are already have the ability to subscribe to threads if they want to receive notifications whenever a person replies to it but that feature is not enabled by default.
Sometimes people create a thread but nobody replies to it within a short period of time and so they forget about it. I think it could really improve this situation if one automatically subscribes to a thread he created or replied to unless he decides to disable it.

By AKmatiAK 17 June 2018 08:24

Member · 51 comments

+ from me

By bem 17 June 2018 08:52

Member · 133 comments

But why would you want to enable it by default? It's a personal choice. You could just put a post up recommending people subscribe to posts and let them decide whether they want that feature added. I've personally never seen a forum where this is enabled by default and you don't want to risk annoying new users by having them get loads of emails when they sign up and create some new threads - and you have to assume that they're not going to know how to turn it off as I've known loads of users who never look at their user settings.

You can do this manually by the way, if you want to test it out with some select users. Just edit their user settings yourself. Although you should warn them first as you could potentially be flooding them with emails if a forum is busy,

If you really want to change this for new users, you can do it by changing the user database to default 'auto_notify' to 1.

By Senk Ju 17 June 2018 12:42

Member · 6 comments
bem wrote

I've personally never seen a forum where this is enabled by default and you don't want to risk annoying new users by having them get loads of emails when they sign up and create some new threads - and you have to assume that they're not going to know how to turn it off as I've known loads of users who never look at their user settings.

Most forums do that. Frankly speaking, I have never seen a forum that does not do that. Users should be able to unsubscribe, of course

bem wrote

If you really want to change this for new users, you can do it by changing the user database to default 'auto_notify' to 1.

Thanks, I will try that out.

By Senk Ju 17 June 2018 13:37

Member · 6 comments
bem wrote

I set the default value for 'auto_notify' to 1 and created a new user but it does not seem to work. The new user still does not automatically subscribe to his own threads.

Last edited by Senk Ju (17 June 2018 13:38)

By Yannick 17 June 2018 13:48

Administrator · 1,455 comments

Users can subscribe to threads and forums, and already have an option to subscribe automatically to all threads they comment in in their profile. The auto_notify settings is the later one. Users won't subscribe to a thread until they comment in it.

Anyways, it's as Bem says, not a single forum does this, and certainly not by default. This would generate a ton of overhead because the system would have to send mails to every user for every new thread and comment that is made. For example, if Luna would be set to act like that, just for this thread, it would have had to send 3234 mails (in total this board alone would have generated over 1,8 million emails), and this is a very small board. Not only is that annoying to your users, it will also get you on spam lists very fast. And if anybody in the EU really doesn't like that behavior, he/she could go and complain given that such behavior is illegal as well. Additionally, for every user and every thread made, the database of your Luna installation would grow exponentially with the current system. That in combination with even having to send those mails would seriously slow down your board.

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 17 June 2018 20:32

Member · 51 comments

How to enable this? Subscription to all threads I comment? I don't see this option 🙁

Last edited by AKmatiAK (17 June 2018 20:32)

By bem 17 June 2018 20:39

Member · 133 comments

It's in the contact part of your settings

By Yannick 17 June 2018 22:15

Administrator · 1,455 comments
AKmatiAK wrote

How to enable this? Subscription to all threads I comment? I don't see this option 🙁

Profile > Settings > Contact > Subscriptions is where you want to be.

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 18 June 2018 17:39

Member · 51 comments

thx that's what I wanted