Luna 2.0.10, 2.0.11 and 2.1 Preview 4 now available

By Yannick 30 June 2018 17:44

Administrator · 1,451 comments

Hello everybody.

Yet again we come to you with an update for our stable release as well as for our preview. 😄

All you need to know is in our blogpost: "Luna 2.0.10 and 2.1 Preview 4".

When you're done with that, here are the updates: Luna 2.0.10 and Luna 2.1 Preview 4. Go read the release notes!

Yet again, we've spend a lot of time on updating our documentation and adjusting our website. So plenty has changed there as well. We will be updating the forum to Preview 4 soon, too.

Next up are 2.0.11 and 2.1 Preview 5. 2.0.11 will be the 12th release in the 2.0-branch, which will be a record (previously held by 1.0 with 11 releases (1.0.10 being the final one)). Luna 2.0.11 will include some minor tweaks to bring it slightly in line with Luna 2.1, so it won't be just bugfixes this time around.

Have nice day!
- Yannick

Last edited by Yannick (1 July 2018 21:23)

You can do anything

By Yannick 30 June 2018 21:38

Well then... Looks like I made a mistake with Luna 2.0.10 and 2.1 Preview 4.

Both releases are shipping with old translations. Luna 2.0.10 is using the 2.0.9-beta translation (so is 2.0.9) while 2.1 Preview 4 is using the translation of an early Preview 4 build. We will release 2.0.11 tomorrow with a fix. 2.1 won't be fixed until Preview 5.

This mistake should not impact anyone using the English translation of Luna or who generates the translation files of any other language through scanning the software with Poedit. This is only an issue for those who

• Use the Dutch translation that is shipping with Luna
  • Use the empty English translation as a base for their own translations

Given that this breaks functionality in Luna, it will be released as a hotfix. If you are using Luna 2.1 Preview, we kinda expect you to be aware that this thing is buggy, so it isn't that essential to fix to us.

Also, welcome to Preview 4

You might also have noticed that we've updated the board to Preview 4. So take a look around and know to tell us anything odd you might see.

Last edited by Yannick (30 June 2018 21:41)

You can do anything

By Yannick 1 July 2018 21:24

Luna 2.0.11 is now available as well.

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 2 July 2018 08:02

Member · 51 comments

Yay, full width! But why everything is that big? Also I am very happy because update 😉

By Yannick 2 July 2018 15:07

If something is full width, it is broken. That, or you just have a very tiny screen. To any other size issues: the base size has been bumped from 14px to 16px, which makes most elements in the UI larger.

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 3 July 2018 10:53

Member · 51 comments

I saw this in browser dev tools, it's only increased size, but it's acceptable. My screen is 1370px or something around.

Last edited by AKmatiAK (3 July 2018 10:53)

By Yannick 15 July 2018 22:22

The hiatus is over, we'll start developing tomorrow once more. 😄

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 16 July 2018 09:36

Member · 51 comments

🙂

By Yannick 18 July 2018 20:10

It's probably worth to note what happened to the board today.

We upgraded our forum to an early version of Preview 5. As you may see, Fifteen looks a little bit different and here is why: we're no longer using Fifteen. We have a new default theme, or rather, we're still working on our new default theme Typography and I wanted to test it in a more realistic environment than my test server.

Obviously, you'll notice a lot of issues: some views are still borrowing from Fifteen, your Accent color only works half of the time, general visual inconsistency or just a total lack of design to begin with. We're working on it and we want to release Preview 5 with a much more complete version of the new default theme.

If you prefer Fifteen or Sunrise and are planning on upgrading to Preview 5 (in your production environment for some reason): don't. Preview 5 will ship with the Preview 4 versions of Fifteen and Sunrise. The reason for this is that with the development of Typography, I'm disconnecting a lot of the logic Fifteen and Sunrise rely on as to make Luna pass raw data instead of data with markup. The result is some major API changes to Luna's theming engine and I don't want to spend time on adapting Fifteen (and thus Sunrise) to an ever changing API as long as it isn't "nearly finished". I don't expect Fifteen and Sunrise to work in Preview 6 either. Don't worry, as soon as the API is mostly finished, we'll start adapting Fifteen (and Sunrise) to it and these themes will ship as part of Luna 2.1. Fifteen just won't be the default theme anymore.

Also notable: Preview 5 (and 6) will reset the default theme to Typography because of these API issues. I hope to release Preview 5 somewhere late this week or early next week depending on Luna 2.0.12.

Last edited by Yannick (18 July 2018 20:11)

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 19 July 2018 08:47

Member · 51 comments

This new theme can be nice, looks innovative.

By Raf 19 July 2018 17:39

Member · 68 comments

cool, clearly inspierd by the new website? i like the extra details in forum lists and the new theme colors are better too 🙂 also is logo support coming?

By Yannick 20 July 2018 07:53

Raf wrote

cool, clearly inspierd by the new website? i like the extra details in forum lists and the new theme colors are better too 🙂 also is logo support coming?

Yes indeed, Typography is being build with our new website in mind, as was Fifteen at the time of release. Glad you like it so far. Typography will simply be using the favicon in the navbar, not sure if that is the "logo support" you're looking for.

I'd also like to point out that Luna 2.0.12 will be a security release which fixes a number of issues with Luna, it will also make some functional changes to Luna, mainly to emoji.

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 20 July 2018 12:26

Member · 51 comments

new password hashing of course 🙂)))) sha512 is outdated

By Yannick 20 July 2018 19:28

AKmatiAK wrote

new password hashing of course 🙂)))) sha512 is outdated

I'm not surprised given that you called "png favicons" outdated, but why would SHA-512 be?

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 21 July 2018 10:00

Member · 51 comments

Because php has password_hash which is newer and more secure.

By Yannick 21 July 2018 14:25

AKmatiAK wrote

Because php has password_hash which is newer and more secure.

I... what?

First of all, no, because it is newer doesn't mean it is more secure. password_hash() makes for a more simple implementation, it is not by definition more secure. SHA-512 does just fine. Secondly, even if we wanted to, we can't. These functions are PHP 5.5 functions, we require support for at least PHP 5.4. We are looking at revamping the login system which will probably include a different hashing algorithm, but changing it just for the sake of change isn't what we're gonna do here.

You can do anything

By NiX 22 July 2018 09:13

Member · 5 comments

Woah, loving the new theme, this is probably my favourite type of design, it feels cleaner and much more modern.

By Yannick 22 July 2018 16:13

Alright, we originally planned for Luna 2.1 Preview 5 to release yesterday, together with Luna 2.0.12. However, that didn't happen because we have a security fix pending and I'm not feeling good clearing it right now. However, Luna 2.0.12 and Preview 5 already contain another security fix. So here is the thing: should we release 2.0.12 and 2.1-alpha.5 today with the risk that maybe 2.0.13 and 2.1-alpha.6 will release tomorrow (but it might, and is likely to be, take a couple of days more) or should we wait? I'd like to hear opinions. 🙂

Last edited by Yannick (22 July 2018 16:14)

You can do anything

By AKmatiAK 22 July 2018 17:16

Member · 51 comments

Wait

By bem 22 July 2018 17:50

Member · 128 comments
Yannick wrote

Alright, we originally planned for Luna 2.1 Preview 5 to release yesterday, together with Luna 2.0.12. However, that didn't happen because we have a security fix pending and I'm not feeling good clearing it right now. However, Luna 2.0.12 and Preview 5 already contain another security fix. So here is the thing: should we release 2.0.12 and 2.1-alpha.5 today with the risk that maybe 2.0.13 and 2.1-alpha.6 will release tomorrow (but it might, and is likely to be, take a couple of days more) or should we wait? I'd like to hear opinions. 🙂

If it's only going to take a couple of days, probably better to wait.

By Raf 22 July 2018 21:06

Member · 68 comments

id say it depens on how important the security patch is

how many previews will there be? though 2.1 should be out around now?

also... this starts to feel like 1.4 all over again

Last edited by Raf (22 July 2018 21:21)

By Yannick 22 July 2018 22:51

Raf wrote

id say it depens on how important the security patch is

For the patch that is already in Luna, I would call it "Important"

Raf wrote

how many previews will there be? though 2.1 should be out around now?

As mentioned in an earlier thread: Luna 2.1 won't release this July and I currently don't have an ETA. I don't expect the 2.1.0 to hit in August either.

Raf wrote

also... this starts to feel like 1.4 all over again

You've mentioned this before and I actually realized what you ment after I asked what you ment. 😋 My guess is that you mean that this is like Luna 1.4 in the sense that Luna 1.4 was supposed to be a small update but ended up changing so much that it got version 2.0 along the way. For now, I don't see that happen with Luna 2.1. Sure, we're revamping the theming engine and rewrote all of our styles in Bootstrap 4 with SASS, but beyond that, Luna 2.1 isn't such a groundbreaking release. It is definitely going to be a major step up from what we had with Luna 2.0, but feature-wise beyond the new theming engine, reworked design and emoji, Luna 2.1 doesn't actually offer that much different from a functionality-perspective.

Last edited by Yannick (22 July 2018 22:52)

You can do anything

By Yannick 25 July 2018 09:57

We just updated the board to a more recent version of Luna 2.1 Preview 5. A couple things I'd like all of you to pay attention to:

- The profile settings' back-end has been revamped completely, go try it out and check if you see any weird behavior
- First Run will be enabled for everyone who disabled it and disabled for anyone who enabled it
- First Run cannot be dismissed from within itself, you have to go to Profile > Settings > Appearance > First Run to disable it
- This update also introduces the first steps of a new Profile, Profile settings and Footer API, so test these 3 areas out

Preview 5 is becoming a very large update, if the security fix originally planned for 2.0.12 can't be cleared by the end of the day, Preview 5 and Luna 2.0.12 will go out of the door without it tomorrow. I consider the other security fix too important to keep waiting.

Last edited by Yannick (25 July 2018 18:22)

You can do anything

By NiX 25 July 2018 11:17

Member · 5 comments

Trying to view Profiles now just throws out "The URL you entered is invalid."

By Yannick 25 July 2018 12:07

NiX wrote

Trying to view Profiles now just throws out "The URL you entered is invalid."

Should be fixed now. 🙂

Also: happy to say that Preview 5 will ship with functional Fifteen and Sunrise theme after all.

Last edited by Yannick (25 July 2018 20:30)

You can do anything